Healthy brownies?!?! Whaaat? Yes. Healthy, delicious brownies. I kid you not, these are insanely delicious and I actually prefer them to normal brownies now! So what makes them healthy?
- No flour. None. (Oh yeah, these just happen to be gluten-free in case that is important to you! =D)
- Healthy ingredient substitutes.
- Way less oil and unhealthy fat than most brownies
- BEANS. What a great way to get some beans into your diet! Little protein boost there…
- 167 Calories per brownie (9 brownies to a 9×9 pan.)
If you compare these to a prepared box of Betty Crocker Fudge Brownie Mix also cut into 9 servings:
- 167 Calories vs 210 Calories
- 8.2of fat from beans and coconut oil vs 10g of fat from canola oil
- 5.2g of protein vs 2g of protein
- 14.8g carbs (none from flour) vs 27g carbs
- 3.8g of sugar vs 19g of sugar
- 2.3g of fiber vs 0.5g of fiber
Alrighty, so let’s dig in! First of all, this recipe uses one can of black beans. I have heard you can lower the calories if you make the beans yourself… but let’s just buy a can, okay?
First, you’re gonna drain and rinse the black beans.
Then, you stick them in a food processor with 3 Tablespoons of coconut oil.
Blend them for about 1-2 minutes until they are thoroughly processed. It will look like this:
And yes, they will look (and kind of taste) like thick refried beans. You may be tempted to lick the spatula. I recommend this.
Lastly, you mix it all up in a bowl and it’s gonna look pretty much exactly like normal brownie mix. Possibly a little thicker.
Then you take your 9×9 pan (8×8 is okay too) and line it with parchment paper. (This seriously makes it so much easier). Pour in your brownies and smooth them out.
Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes.
Let them cool before cutting… if you can.
Also, as far as being able to tell if they are made with beans or not… I have fed them to family members without telling them there are beans and they could not tell the difference. Now, personally I can very slightly tell that there is a subtle graininess from the beans, but I kind of theink it’s pleasant and adds to the texture. The beans also make the brownies incredibly moist. So good!
I hope you love these as much as me! Yum!!!
Lots of love,